Re: changing MyDatabaseId

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: changing MyDatabaseId
Date: 2010-11-17 10:04:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert,

On 11/15/2010 05:39 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> I've spent a few hours pouring over the source code with
> coarse-toothed comb, trying to figure out just exactly what might
> break if we changed MyDatabaseId after backend startup time, or in
> other words, allowed a backend to unbind from the database to which it
> was originally bound and rebind to a new one. This is related to the
> periodic conversations we've had about a built-in connection pooler,
> and/or maintaining a pool of worker threads that could be used to
> service parallel query, replication sets, etc. What follows is not
> meant to be a concrete design proposal; it's basic research that may
> lead to a proposal at some time in the future. Still, comments are
> welcome.

Thanks a lot for doing that, saved me a couple hours (presumably more
than it cost you :-)

> Thoughts?

The question obviously is whether or not this is faster than just
terminating one backend and starting a new one. Which basically costs an
additional termination and re-creation of a process (i.e. fork())
AFAICS. Or what other savings do you envision?

If that's it, it certainly seems like a huge amount of work for very
little benefit. Or does this feature enable something that's impossible
to do otherwise?

Regards

Markus Wanner