Re: Howto read a UTF-8 CSV with COPY?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Howto read a UTF-8 CSV with COPY?
Date: 2010-11-16 12:06:56
Lists: pgsql-novice

Am 15.11.2010 19:10, schrieb Jasen Betts:

> latin-1 was probably the wrong client encoding unless it was office on
> a really old Mac.
No, its a win xp.

> Is there a way to import UTF8 encoded csv files ?
> copy.
> but the files must be utf8, close is noy good enough.
That might be the problem.
After I let notepad++ convert it to utf8 copy read it without issues so far.
It appeares excel 2000 can't produce the right flavour. Even the
"unicode text" got rejected by copy.

> what sequence is it complaining about?
In most cases it was a local character, though I think even latin1 has
all of them besides the € sign.
And it didnt like - (minus or probaply ndash).

Thanks for your reply.