in linux, what user do i install postgres under?

From: "Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: in linux, what user do i install postgres under?
Date: 2010-11-15 21:45:47
Lists: pgsql-novice
I am a windows user that is trying to switch to linux.

I want to install postgresql on my local machine (suse linux) as part of a development environment.

My question is: what user do I install postgres under?  I know postgresql creates a postgres user, so I can't create that from the beginning and install from that account.  So, what is the relation between the account I install under, and postgresql?  Can I use any login, do I need to log in as root, or is there some other user/capability I should sign on with to install postgresql under?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fred Parkinson
Application Programmer
Association of Bay Area Governments
510-464-7931

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Matthew WaldenDate: 2010-11-15 22:17:38