Re: BUG #5748: Invalid oidvector data during binary recv

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5748: Invalid oidvector data during binary recv
Date: 2010-11-15 10:40:57
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 15.11.2010 12:08, Yeb Havinga wrote:
> On 2010-11-11 17:02, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem seems to be that array_recv passes back a zero-dimensional
>>> array, *not* a 1-D array, when it observes that the input has no
>>> elements. A zero-D array is not part of the subset of possible arrays
>>> that we allow for oidvector.
>>
>> Yeah, I just reached that conclusion too..
> The patch below changes array_recv, so that it returns an empty 1-D
> array when an empty 1-D array was written binary. No changes in
> oidvectorrecv or int2vectorrecv are needed.

That seems like a bad idea. array_in() represents an empty array with
zero dimensions, we're not going to change the generic array_recv()
function used for all arrays to behave differently because of some
corner-case in oidvectorrecv.

If we want do anything about this, the right fix is to add a special
case in oidvectorrecv/int2vectorrecv to handle empty array.

--
Heikki Linnakangas