Re: MVCC performance issue

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com
Cc: Kyriacos Kyriacou <kyriacosk(at)prime-tel(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MVCC performance issue
Date: 2010-11-14 00:10:56
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 11/14/2010 02:38 AM, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>> It sounds like you're describing Oracle-style MVCC, using redo logs.
>>
>> http://blogs.sybase.com/database/2009/04/mvcc-dispelling-some-oracle-fudunderstanding-the-cost/
>>

> Craig, this is an interesting blog page, making some valid points about
> the multiversioning vs. locking. The ATM example, however, is
> unrealistic and couldn't have happened the way the author describes.

Yep, you're quite right. I was using it for its explanation of some of
the costs of MVCC as Oracle implements it, because it's surprisingly
hard to find explanations/analysis of that with some quick Google
searching. I hadn't read beyond that part.

I'd be really interested in some *good* writeups of the costs/benefits
of the various common mvcc and locking based rdbms implementations.

Thanks for posting a breakdown of the issues with that article, lest
others be mislead. Appreciated.

--
Craig Ringer