Re: issue with 9.0 1 slave becomes master with new timeline

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Dragos Valentin Moinescu" <dragos(dot)moinescu(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: issue with 9.0 1 slave becomes master with new timeline
Date: 2010-11-11 15:08:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dragos Valentin Moinescu <dragos(dot)moinescu(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> How can I easile migrate the 2 slaves on the new master without
> creating a new base backup (which unfortunately takes too long as
> the databases contain arround 200GB)?

Have you tested rsync using a daemon from the new master (after
pg_start_backup) to the copy the slave already has? It should send
the delta pretty quickly -- perhaps quickly enough to meet your
needs. It's worth testing, anyway.

I believe this is an area people are trying to improve for 9.1.

-Kevin