Re: Defaulting wal_sync_method to fdatasync on Linux for 9.1?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Defaulting wal_sync_method to fdatasync on Linux for 9.1?
Date: 2010-11-05 22:06:05
Lists: pgsql-performance

Marti Raudsepp wrote:
> In fact, I was wrong in my earlier post. Linux always offered O_DSYNC
> behavior. What's new is POSIX-compliant O_SYNC, and the fact that
> these flags are now distinguished.

While I appreciate that you're trying to help here, I'm unconvinced
you've correctly diagnosed a couple of components to what's going on
here properly yet. Please refrain from making changes to popular
documents like the tuning guide on the wiki based on speculation about
what's happening. There's definitely at least one mistake in what you
wrote there, and I just reverted the whole set of changes you made
accordingly until this is sorted out better.

PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support www.2ndQuadrant.us