Re: max_wal_senders must die

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: max_wal_senders must die
Date: 2010-11-03 19:28:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

[going back on list with this]

Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov wrote:

>> the other three DBAs here implemented the HS/SR while I was out

>> They told me that it was working great once they figured it out,
>> but it was confusing; it took them a lot of time and a few false
>> starts to get it working. I've been trying to get details to
>> support an improvement in documentation

> Just curious -- did they use the wiki documentation at all? Was
> any of that more or less helpful?

I finally got a chance to chat with the other DBAs about this --
they actually *just* looked at the Wiki to get through it, and
didn't go to the manual at all. They eventually concluded that the
problems were all because this was done on a machine where we had
multiple major releases of PostgreSQL running for different database
clusters, and the version on $PATH was not changed to 9.0. Even
though they started PostgreSQL on the standby server with an
explicit path to the 9.0 version, it seemed to find some executable
or library from 8.4 on $PATH, resulting in bizarre and unhelpful
error messages.

We do our own builds with a prefix like /usr/local/pgsql-9.0.1 and
create a symlink from /usr/local/pgsql to what we want as the
default on the machine, when an explicit path is not specified.
When they pointed the symlink to 9.0.1 everything worked as
expected.

They said that except for the quirky path behavior, the installation
went fine; the Wiki page instructions were clear and adequate and
that installation process was not difficult or confusing.

This path issue sounds like a bug to me....

-Kevin