Re: Ticket 269: Add support for 9.1 ALTER TYPE new syntax for enum

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ticket 269: Add support for 9.1 ALTER TYPE new syntax for enum
Date: 2010-11-02 18:38:38
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 02/11/2010 07:18, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 02/11/2010 05:49, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 2:51 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

>>> I've done the "split-the-queries" function. Seems to work great, but
>>> still doesn't cover dollar quoting. Anyway, it's less ugly than I
>>> thought. The interesting part is dlgProperty::SplitQueries(). Would love
>>> to get comments :)
>>
>> I just eyeballed the patch - if I'm reading it right, it splits *all*
>> queries and executes each part individually. Is that correct?
>>

> Right.
>
>> If so, we're going to need that flag. Most of the time, we want all
>> the query parts to be executed atomically, otherwise if we get and
>> error (particularly when using the Apply button where there is one),
>> the dialogue won't know what parts of the update work and what didn't,
>> and thus will have a difficult job refreshing the display
>> appropriately.
>>

> Yeah, that was the part I wanted to work on yesterday. I have an idea on
> this, I actually have the code, but it doesn't work :-/ Need some more work.

Done. I'm actually quite happy with how it turns out. Less nasty then I
previously thought. Complete patch attached (alterenum_v1.patch). The
last part of the work is available on the patch 0001* attached to this
email. Or you can get a look at my branch on github
(http://github.com/gleu/pgadmin3/commits/ticket269).

Probably I should change the method name... WannaSplitQueries is
probably not the best one we could find :)

Comments welcome.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-The-split-the-query-should-only-fire-if-necessary.patch text/x-diff 0 bytes