Re: CREATE CUSTOM TEXT SEARCH PARSER

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Katharina kuhn" <katykuhn(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE CUSTOM TEXT SEARCH PARSER
Date: 2010-11-02 17:58:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

Katharina kuhn <katykuhn(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'd like to build a custom text search parser and then use it
> within a custom text search configuration.
> It would be great if you could give us an example showing how to
> build a custom parser, including examples of start, gettoken and
> end functions.

You might want to look at the contrib/test_parser directory. Then
again, you might not -- I needed some custom tsearch2 parsing
behavior and struggled with a custom parser based on that for a
couple days before I decided that it was easier to use regular
expression functions within pl/pgsql to pick out what I wanted and
cast it to a tsvector. This was less code and seemed less fragile
than the developing soemthing based on the contrib example. YMMV, of
course.

This motivated me to put a rewrite of the current tsearch2 parser to
something based on regular expressions onto my personal PostgreSQL
TODO list. (No guarantees on when I might get to it, though.)

-Kevin