SELECT triggers - Table Partitioning

From: Majid Azimi <majid(dot)merkava(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL - Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SELECT triggers - Table Partitioning
Date: 2010-11-01 21:33:42
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi guys.

In the documentation for triggers there is a sentence that says "you
can't create select triggers". could someone explain why?
When we use Table Partitioning how can we redirect SELECT queries to
specific tables. If we don't have SELECT triggers then it will search
all tables inherited from main table thus there is no performance
optimization in SELECT queries.
Is there any solution?