Re: Ticket 269: Add support for 9.1 ALTER TYPE new syntax for enum

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Ticket 269: Add support for 9.1 ALTER TYPE new syntax for enum
Date: 2010-10-30 15:07:59
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Le 29/10/2010 21:56, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 29/10/2010 21:11, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>> [...]
>> This patch adds support to the new ALTER TYPE syntax in 9.1 for enums.
>>
>> It's working great except one thing. If a user wants to add two labels,
>> we're screwed because we can't do two "ALTER TYPE ... ADD" statements in
>> the same query execution. Any idea how to solve this? the only way I
>> found would be to disallow adding two labels at once but it results on a
>> less interesting feature.
>>

> So I was wrong. The issue is that we can't issue this statement in a
> explicit transaction. Any idea how to solve the "don't send begin/end
> statements"?

The only idea I have is to make dlgType a two-SQL-boxes dialog and
modify the dlgProperty::apply() method so that if there is "ALTER TYPE
... ADD {BEFORE | AFTER}" statements, they get splitted and fired
individualy. I didn't yet write the code to split the statement, but it
will surely be ugly.

Any objection on doing this? or better idea to fix this issue?

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr