Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle

From: Steve Singer <ssinger(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: Divakar Singh <dpsmails(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mladen Gogala <mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres insert performance and storage requirement compared to Oracle
Date: 2010-10-27 18:51:02
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-performance
On 10-10-27 02:14 PM, Divakar Singh wrote:
> yes this is a very clearly visible problem.
> The difference b/w oracle and PG increases with more rows.
> when oracle takes 3 GB, PG takes around 6 GB.
> I only use varchar.
> I will try to use your tips on "smart table layout, toast compression".
> Assuming these suggested options do not have any performance penalty?
> Best Regards,
> Divakar

In between test runs are you cleaning out the tables with a "DELETE FROM
aaaaa" or are you using the TRUNCATE command? Or dropping the table and
recreating it.

If your just using DELETE it might be that disk space is still being
used by the old versions of the rows.

Also is postgresql using more space than oracle for storing the index
data or the main table data?  and is any particular index larger on
postgresql compared to Oracle.