Re: WIP: extensible enums

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: extensible enums
Date: 2010-10-24 22:16:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/24/2010 05:34 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> BTW, I've forgotten --- did anyone publish a test case for checking
> performance of enum comparisons? Or should I just cons up something
> privately?

I have been running tests with
<http://developer.postgresql.org/~adunstan/enumtest.dmp>

The table "mydata" contains 100k rows with the column "label" containing
random values of an enum type with 500 labels. Basically, my main test
is to set up an index on that column. The alter the enum type, and test
again. Then alter some of the rows, and test again.

cheers

andrew