Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III commit: Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we ha
Date: 2010-10-24 15:08:46
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 24/10/2010 07:43, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Le 24/10/2010 01:06, Dave Page a écrit :
>>> Updated supported versions for 1.14. Now that we have a PostgreSQL support policy, we can follow that for new releases of pgAdmin.
>>>
>>> Branch
>>> ------
>>> master
>>>
>>> Details
>>> -------
>>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commitdiff;h=f6acdf3429dfee7ee9a2990b8fdb75d519dd50d2
>>>
>>> Modified Files
>>> --------------
>>> pgadmin/include/pgAdmin3.h | 8 ++++----
>>> 1 files changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)
>>>

>> Do we really want to do that? I mean, stopping a connection if a guy is
>> not on a PostgreSQL maintained release.
>
> It doesn't stop them, it just warns that it might explode (if memory
> serves - certainly thats what happens with new releases).

It actually stop them with a wrong message. I tried with a 7.4 release.
It told me that "The server version 8.2 is older than is supported by
this release of pgAdmin.". It should have been 7.4, not 8.2. And the, it
drops the connection:

connected = false;
status = PGCONN_BAD;

What happens with new releases is what we should do with old
unmaintained one, but with a message like the one I sent previously.

> In any case, unless you're willing to commit to testing every
> change/new feature on 7.3, 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1, we shouldn't pretend
> they're supported.

I'm not willing to do that. If it's not much work, I can still work on
that, but I for sure don't commit to do that. What I would prefer us to
do is allow the connection to an old unmaintained server with a big
warning telling that 1. they should upgrade PostgreSQL, and 2. they
could encounter bugs in pgAdmin as we don't commit to fix them with
unmaintained PostgreSQL releases.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr