Re: "duplicate key value": version 8.4 vs 8.1

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: PostgreSQL List - Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: "duplicate key value": version 8.4 vs 8.1
Date: 2010-10-22 11:24:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

mountain oaf wrote:
>> You may want to try the latest version of 8.1, 8.1.22 or 20 bugfix
>> releases more current. As has been oft repeated here, they do not
>> release them for fun. They fix real and critical bugs.
>
> Thanks for the thought. Unfortunately this is not an option as it is
> running a client's system at a remote site.

Upgrades do not require on-site access.

Every production system should have a backup; so I keep a second server
on standby. For upgrades; I upgrade the backup system; test my apps on
the upgraded system; then with only a few minutes downtime I resync the
data and make backup hardware productions server. Then I upgrade the
original system; test it and migrate back again.

This process tests the disaster recovery process with every upgrade.

This process only requires on-site visit when upgrading the OS; never
packages like Postgresql.