Re: New wiki page on write reliability

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New wiki page on write reliability
Date: 2010-10-21 15:45:11
Lists: pgsql-performance
Brad Nicholson wrote:
> I think a warning turning fsync off, the dangers of async_commit, and
> the potential problems with disabling full_page_writes might be worth
> mentioning on this page, unless you want to leave that buried in the
> attached references.

Good idea to highlight that.  What I just did here was point out which
of the references covered that specific topic, which is as good as I
could do for now.

It's hard for me to justify spending time writing more about those when
they are covered in the attached references, and I personally can't do
it because of my publishing agreement.  The fact that the information
about this topic is what ended up being released as the sample material
from my book is not coincidence--I wanted to be able to share what I'd
done here as a free community resources because this topic is so
important to me.  But I can't go much further than what I've already put
up there myself.

--
Greg Smith, 2ndQuadrant US greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com Baltimore, MD
PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support  www.2ndQuadrant.us