Re: is sync rep stalled?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is sync rep stalled?
Date: 2010-10-03 03:52:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What we actually need to do is talk and listen. I'd like to suggest that
> we have an online "focus day" (onlist) on Sync Rep on Oct 5 and maybe 6
> as well?. Meeting in person is possible, but probably impractical. But a
> design sprint, not a code sprint.

I'd suggest something even simpler:

(1) Create a wiki page which lists all of the design descisions we need
to make in order to finish the specification for synch rep.

(2) Link each item to any prior discussion we've had about the item.

(3) Invite people to comment on the wiki by leaving per-item comments
and suggestions with their own names.

I believe that right now only a handful of people (Simon, Heikki, Fujii,
Zoltan) are really acquainted with all of the decisions which need to be
made. No wonder the rest of us fly off on minutia like file formats; we
really have no sense of scope.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.