Re: Could not read block error question

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Lukasz Brodziak" <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Could not read block error question
Date: 2010-09-28 14:03:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Lukasz Brodziak <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I got an error "Could not read block <no.> of relation...." it
> appeared to be in pg_trigger

If you'd pasted in the message as it appeared, we wouldn't need to
guess whether you're right.

> the block number was 110 and the file has only 67 pages. So the
> question is how is it possible?

That could be, if your reading of things is right, database
corruption. Before you do anything else, shutdown the database
server and make a copy of the data directory and all its
subdirectories. (Don't try to pick one database or otherwise pick
and choose files.) Save that backup until you've recovered from the
problem and things have been stable for at least a few weeks.

Next, read this page and repost with more information:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

So far you haven't given us much to work with.

-Kevin