Re: Improving prep_buildtree used in VPATH builds

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, PGSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improving prep_buildtree used in VPATH builds
Date: 2010-09-27 15:28:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/27/2010 11:16 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>  wrote:
>>
>> On 09/27/2010 10:39 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Andrew Dunstan<andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/27/2010 10:11 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>>
>> What should be the value of 'Message-ID for original patch' ?
>> the URL:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-09/msg01837.php
>> or the ID: AANLkTinw0HL+jQmrtwXC9Y2tqhcfHFgFekxyyfYGvQrB(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
>>
>> The latter.
>>
>> Could this perhaps be made clearer on the page, perhaps with an example? It
>> confused me recently too.
>>
>> Can you suggest something more specific?
>>

>> Well, it could say something like:
>>
>> The Message-ID can be found in the headers of the relevant email to the
>> pgsql-hackers mailing list, and also in the mailing list archives at
>> http://archives.postgresql.org. It looks something like this (the format
>> varies somewhat depending on the sender's Mail User Agent):
>> AANLkTinw0HL+jQmrtwXC9Y2tqhcfHFgFekxyyfYGvQrB(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com
>>
>> That would certainly have given me, and I suspect Gurjeet, enough clue.
> Where on the page would you suggest that we put that text?

Following "Enter your comments below. If you wish your comment to
reference a message from the mailing list archives, enter the message ID
into the space provided." The point is that because the app nicely turns
the Message-id into a URL that links to the archives, it's not entirely
clear whether the user needs to enter the whole URL or not.

Another way to handle this might be to extract it from an http URL if
given one.

It's a minor nit - it didn't seem worth raising at the time, and I only
commented when I saw that someone else had the same small confusion I
had had.

cheers

andrew