Re: Configuring synchronous replication

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuring synchronous replication
Date: 2010-09-22 22:31:27
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> The above case is one where I can see your point and it does sound
> easier in that case. But I then think: "What happens after failover?".
> We would then need to have 12 different standby.conf files, one on each
> standby that describes what the setup would look like if that standby
> became the master. And guess what, every time we made a change on the
> master, you'd need to re-edit all 12 standby.conf files to reflect the
> new configuration. So we're still back to having to edit in multiple
> places, ISTM.

Unless we can make the standby.conf files identical on all servers in
the group. If we can do that, then conf file management utilities,
fileshares, or a simple automated rsync could easily take care of things.

But ... any setup which involves each standby being *required* to have a
different configuration on each standby server, which has to be edited
separately, is going to be fatally difficult to manage for anyone who
has more than a couple of standbys. So I'd like to look at what it
takes to get away from that.

--
-- Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.