Re: BUG #5667: install failure

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Roedy Green <roedyg(at)mindprod(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5667: install failure
Date: 2010-09-21 05:20:18
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 21/09/2010 4:49 AM, Roedy Green wrote:

> Bug reference: 5667
> Logged by: Roedy Green
> Email address: roedyg(at)mindprod(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.0.
> Operating system: Windows 7, 64 bit
> Details:
>
> I executed postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows_x64.exe
> It died with a message:
>
> "An error occured executing VC++ runtime installer."
>
> I had similar problems with version 8. People gave me various things to
> try. None of it worked. I gave up on PostgresSQL. I decided to try again
> with v 9.0.0.
>
> I would really like it you stopped using this flaky installer.

One might perhaps question whether your system has a part in the
flakiness. Your experience is unusual, not the norm, and there is
something odd going on with your machine if the VC++ runtime won't install.

I don't see your name in my local mailing list archives, but they only
your name and "runtime installer" doesn't find anything relevant. Can
you provide a link to your previous question(s) in the archives so we
can get some background on this issue?

It'd also help to know:

- If you run the installer from the command line as:

postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows.exe --install_runtimes 0

does it install without error?

- If the VC++ runtime installer executes successfully when run stand-
alone? You can unpack the VC++ runtime installer by running the Pg
installer as:

postgresql-9.0.0-1-windows.exe --extract-only 1 --prefix "%TEMP%\pg9"

Now you can open an Administrator-rights cmd.exe window by hitting
Start, entering "command", waiting until "command prompt" appears,
right-clicking on it and choosing "run as administrator". Into the
cmd.exe window that appears enter:

cd "%TEMP%\pg9\installer"
dir

You'll see the Visual C++ runtime installer (vcredist) and the
vbscript used to invoke it.

Run the vbcscript by typing "install" and pressing tab, pressing
space, typing "vcredist" and pressing tab, then pressing enter.

You should get a message saying vcredist is being installed, a
progress bar, then a message saying it installed successfully.

- If you have a virus scanner or software firewall on your system.

- If you have the same problem on a clean Windows 7 install, prior to
adding a virus scanner or other local software. I realise this might not
be practical for you to test, but it'd be useful for diagnostic purposes.

--
Craig Ringer