Re: Auto ANALYZE criteria

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Joe Miller" <joe(dot)d(dot)miller(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto ANALYZE criteria
Date: 2010-09-20 22:28:53
Lists: pgsql-performance
Joe Miller <joe(dot)d(dot)miller(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I can set up a cron job to run the ANALYZE manually, but it seems
> like the autovacuum daemon should be smart enough to figure this
> out on its own.  Deletes can have as big an impact on the stats as
> inserts and updates.

But until the deleted rows are vacuumed from the indexes, an index
scan must read all the index entries for the deleted tuples, and
visit the heap to determine that they are not visible.  Does a
manual run of ANALYZE without a VACUUM change the stats much for
you, or are you running VACUUM ANALYZE?

-Kevin