Neat trick

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Neat trick
Date: 2010-09-14 21:30:28
Lists: pgsql-novice
I figured out how to speed up the sequential scans using "blockdev"
command. Essentially, this increases the read-ahead on the underlying
block device for the file system. It will change the read-ahead value
for the entire disk, even if there are several partitions on the disk.
The results are very promising. Unfortunately, I didn't take baseline
numbers and measure the effect with precision, but the look of it is
that things are much faster with the read-ahead set to 2048 instead of
the default 256. The read-ahead is measured in sectors read ahead by the
OS. The OS is Red Hat Linux, EL 5.5.

Mladen Gogala
Sr. Oracle DBA
1500 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
(212) 329-5251

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Josh KupershmidtDate: 2010-09-14 22:04:30