Re: [DOCS] Doc fixes and improvements

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,"Thom Brown" <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "PostgreSQL www" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Doc fixes and improvements
Date: 2010-09-13 18:17:08
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> There are just too many things going on. Reduce the number of
> colors, reduce the number of different border designs (round, not
> round), make the borders less busy (remove the line), remove the
> shadows, reduce the number of different levels of indentation.

Personally, I would be disappointed if we backed off from these
changes much. The current docs look like something I would have
seen coming off the bidirectional print-head of a Teletype(R)
machine a few decades ago. I've gone back and forth between that
and Thom's latest draft trying to pick out useful information on
various pages, and for me the visual cues help considerably in
finding what I want. On top of that, switching to the new look is a
refreshing experience each time; when I switch back to our current
docs, I can actually feel my eyes tighten up as they prepare to pick
out content from a mass of uniform text.

I know people process visual information differently, but I really
have a hard time seeing anything offensive about where Thom has
taken it, and that was based on a lot of feedback from several
different people.

-Kevin