Re: Performance Farm Release

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, "Scott I(dot) Luxenberg" <Scott(dot)Luxenberg(at)noblis(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance Farm Release
Date: 2010-08-31 23:41:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 08/31/2010 03:28 AM, Greg Smith wrote:

> 1) Nail down what subset of the information gathered locally should be
> uploaded to the buildfarm master server. Probably just the same
> columns of data already being saved for each test, but perhaps with
> some extra metadata. The local animal will also have graphs and such,
> but unrealistic to upload all of those for a number of reasons I
> think. Only really useful to drill down when there is some sort of
> regression I expect, and hopefully the animal is still alive when that
> happens.
>
> 2) Update the buildfarm server code to accept and store that data.

The server code is in fact very generic. There is no hard coding of step
names or anything like that. The major piece I think we'd need to add in
here is somewhere to store performance test scores, as opposed to the
success/failure of normal buildfarm steps. That's not going to be
terrible difficult.

> 3) Update this perffarm client to talk to that.
>
> 4) Merge the perfarm fork changes into the mainline buildfarm code. I
> expect continued bitrot of this code as changes are made to the
> regular buildfarm client, so it might be worth considering that sooner
> rather than later.

OK, but the client code is hardly in a state of violent flux. In the
last year there have been eight commits, including the git changes.

> My understanding is that the code for the server side of the buildfarm
> isn't public to everyone right now, just because of time limitations
> getting it cleaned up for that. So a couple of parts here are being
> funneled through how much spare time Andrew has, and there are more
> important git and buildfarm related things for him to worry about
> right now.

The git buildfarm changes are pretty much bedded down now, I think.

I have broken the back of extensible enums a bit more quickly than I
expected, so I might have some flying time in the next week or so to
devote to cleaning stuff up in the server code, while taking a break
from COPY as a FROM target (which will undoubtedly turn my brain to mush
if I work on it for more than a couple of hours at a time).

> Presuming nothing exciting on this happens before then, I'm hoping
> that I can catch up with Andrew at PG West and map out how to get the
> rest of this done, so it goes live somewhere during 9.1 development.
> Now that the code has been released from the Noblis fortress, I can
> start cleaning up some of the little details on it before then too
> (i.e. not working for anything but 9.0 yet).

Sounds good.

cheers

andrew