Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso(dot)camargo(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Date: 2010-08-31 15:43:41
Lists: pgsql-performance
Yeb Havinga wrote:
> The rather wierd dip at 5 threads is consistent over multiple tries

I've seen that twice on 4 core systems now.  The spot where there's just
one more thread than cores seems to be the worst case for cache
thrashing on a lot of these servers.

How much total RAM is in this server?  Are all the slots filled?  Just
filling in a spreadsheet I have here with sample configs of various
hardware.

Yeb's results look right to me now.  That's what an AMD Phenom II X4 940
@ 3.00GHz should look like.  It's a little faster, memory-wise, than my
older Intel Q6600 @ 2.4GHz.  So they've finally caught up with that
generation of Intel's stuff.  But my current desktop quad-core i860 with
hyperthreading is nearly twice as fast in terms of memory access at
every thread size.  That's why I own one of them instead of a Phenom II X4.