Re: Exclude constraint problem

From: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy(at)sonic(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Exclude constraint problem
Date: 2010-08-31 01:04:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane wrote:
> Alex Zepeda <zipzippy(at)sonic(dot)net> writes:
>> If I try to manually add the constraint on the table I get:
>> blockface=# alter table bus_positions add constraint "exclude_time_buffer" EXCLUDE USING gist (vehicle WITH =, buffer_time WITH &&, bbox_dup WITH &&);
>> NOTICE:  ALTER TABLE / ADD EXCLUDE will create implicit index "exclude_time_buffer" for table "bus_positions"
>> ERROR:  could not create exclusion constraint "exclude_time_buffer"
>
> Try manually adding a similar constraint (ie, one redundant with the
> existing one) on the source box.  Does it work?

So... erm... dinky machine (4GB physical + 4GB swap for now), rather
large data set (a hair over a million rows).  I ran out of memory before the
add constraint operation could complete (reindex as well).

My inclination would be to drop the most recent half or so of the rows
and attempt to reindex.

I'd be happy to provide someone with a copy of the dump...
but it's ~70MB bzip'd.

- alex