Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: Philippe Rimbault <primbault(at)edd(dot)fr>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Date: 2010-08-30 15:15:31
Lists: pgsql-performance
Scott Carey wrote:
> The 2427 should do 12.8 GB/sec theoretical peak (dual channel 800Mhz DDR2) per processor socket (so 2x that if multithreaded and 2 Sockets).
>
> A Nehalem will do ~2x that (triple channel, 1066Mhz) and is also significantly faster clock for clock.
>
> But a Core2 based Xeon on Socket 775 at 1066Mhz FSB?  Nah... its theoretical peak bandwidth is 33% more and real world no more than 40% more.
> The E7500 is basically the end of line Core2 before Nehalem based processors took over.

Ah...from its use of DDR3, I thought that the E7500 was a low-end
Nehalem.  Now I see that you're right, that it's actually a high-end
Wolfdale.  So that does significantly decrease the margin between the
two I'd expect.  I agree with your figures, and that this may be back to
looking a little fishy.

The other thing I normally check is whether one of the two systems has
more aggressive power management turned on.  Easiest way to tell on
Linux is look at /proc/cpuinfo , and see if the displayed processor
speed is much lower than the actual one.  Many systems default to
something pretty conservative here, and don't return up to full speed
nearly fast enough for some benchmark tests.

> This isn't an older Opteron, its 6 core, 6MB L3 cache "Istanbul".  Its not the newer stuff either.

Everything before Magny Cours is now an older Opteron from my
perspective.  They've caught up with Intel again with the release of
those.  Everything from AMD that's come out ever since Intel Nehalem
products started shipping in quantity (early 2009) have been marginal
products until the new M-C, and their early Quad-core stuff was pretty
terrible too.  So in my head I'm lumping AMD's Budapest, Shanghai, and
Istanbul product lines all into a giant "slow compared to Intel during
the same period" bin in my head.  Fine for databases with lots of
clients, not so good at executing single queries quickly.