Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso(dot)camargo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, Philippe Rimbault <primbault(at)edd(dot)fr>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Performance on new 64bit server compared to my 32bit desktop
Date: 2010-08-30 04:40:04
Lists: pgsql-performance
Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa wrote:
> Also, nowadays, Intel has better performance than AMD, at least when
> comparing Athlon 64 vs Core2, I'm still saving to get a Phenom II
> system in order to benchmark them and see how it goes (does anyone
> have one of these for testing?).

Things even out again when you reach the large server line from AMD that
uses DDR-3 RAM; they've finally solved this problem there.  Scott
Marlowe has been helping me out with some tests of a new system he's got
running the AMD Opteron 6172, using the STREAM memory benchmark.  Intro
to that and some sample numbers at
http://www.advancedclustering.com/company-blog/stream-benchmarking.html

He's been seeing >75GB/s of aggregate memory bandwidth out of that
monster--using gcc, so even at a disadvantage compared to the Intel one
used for that report.  If you're only using one or two cores Intel still
seems to have a lead, I am still working out if that's true in every
situation.

I haven't had a chance to test any of the Phenom II processors yet, from
what I know of their design I expect them to still have the same
fundamental design issues that kept all AMD processors from scaling very
well, memory speed wise, the last few years.  You might be able to dig a
system using one of them out of the list at
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/stream/peecee/Bandwidth.html , I didn't
notice anything obvious that featured one.