Re: Tuple changes from relfilenodes

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: *ukasz Brodziak <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)hotmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Tuple changes from relfilenodes
Date: 2010-08-27 16:56:20
Lists: pgsql-admin
*ukasz Brodziak<lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> From: Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov

>> Are you looking for statistics or the actual prior versions of
>> rows?

> I'm looking for actual versions of row data. What I want to
> achieve as a final result is a kind of data change history.

Well, unless you are suppressing the vacuum behavior which normally
occurs, your history won't go back very far; and if you do suppress
vacuums, performance will begin to fall of fairly quickly.

Tuples representing old versions of rows may be eliminated as soon
as there is no transaction which would still be able to see them.

-Kevin