Re: [DOCS] Example indenting

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>,"Thom Brown" <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Guillaume Lelarge" <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, "pgsql-docs" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-www" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [DOCS] Example indenting
Date: 2010-08-26 17:23:18
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

>> It is great for it to be aesthetically pleasing but if we have
>> those minor inconsistencies I think it would be distracting from
>> the information itself.
>
> Agreed, and it's sort of experimental at the moment. If it
> doesn't help present information better, it's useless really.

I know this sort of thing gets pretty subjective, but having gone
back and looked at it a couple times...

(1) I don't find the shadows distracting, but I can see where that
could be a factor for some -- if it distracts anybody, I won't miss
them too much.

(2) The one thing I *do* find distracting is the wide separation in
the colors used for the different boxes (grey, yellow, blue, red).
I like the warning to stand out with red, but if the others were
somewhat more subtle differences, I think it would be less jarring
and distracting. You know, enough that you can tell the difference
if you're looking for it, and enough to register subliminally, but
not enough to slap you upside the head.

Hmmm... Does that qualify as bikeshedding?

-Kevin