Re: Primary Key index

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>,"Thom Brown" <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-docs" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Primary Key index
Date: 2010-08-25 19:15:03
Lists: pgsql-docs
Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> On 18 August 2010 21:53, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> On ons, 2010-08-18 at 16:52 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:

>>> I attach a patch to add information to the Primary Keys section
>>> of the Constraints page.  While the information already exists
>>> on the CREATE TABLE, I don't think a brief mention on the page
>>> specifically concerning primary keys could hurt.
>>>
>>> So here's a patch to add it.  Worth adding?
>>
>> <firstterm> is probably not appropriate here, because you are not
>> defining the term for the first time.
>>
> That is true.

It looks like discussion died here.  Do you want to propose a new
patch?  (I'd be happy to give it a shot if you'd rather.)  In any
event, we should probably mention this for all three constraint
types which automatically create an index: PRIMARY KEY, UNIQUE, and
EXCLUSION.  It might even be worth mentioning in the FOREIGN KEY
section that in PostgreSQL these are *not* created automatically,
and it is often wise to do so manually.  I've seen a few posts from
people who don't understand why their deletes run so slowly, because
they're used to other database products which automatically create
an index on the referencing side of a foreign key.

-Kevin