Re: Issue with libpq < 8.4

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue with libpq < 8.4
Date: 2010-08-24 10:01:18
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 24/08/2010 11:54, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
>> Le 24/08/2010 11:49, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I found a rather big issue with our connection functions. We try to use
>>> the PQconninfoParse but it doesn't exist on libpq release less than 8.4.
>>> And that triggers the deadly:
>>>
>>> pgadmin3: symbol lookup error: pgadmin3: undefined symbol: PQconninfoParse
>>>
>>> And kaboom.
>>>
>>> I don't think this issue will show up in Windows and Mac OS X. But I'm
>>> much more afraid for Linux builds. Someone that installs pgAdmin3 will
>>> have a libpq installed. Not sure it'll be the last one (8.4 libpq). can
>>> we tell packagers to make sure their pgadmin3 packages are tied to an
>>> 8.4 (at least) libpq?
>>>
>>> Is this something we should bother? and if yes, how should we handle
>>> this? (adding #ifdef won't work, getting out PQconninfoParse really
>>> doesn't please me).
>>>

>> Of course, that's when I hit the Send button that I remember I forgot to
>> add this: this issue is both on trunk and 1.12 branch.
>
> Pretty simple to fix - just add a configure check for PQconninfoParse.
> I'll look at that.

Adding a configure check doesn't seem that simple to me :)

I suppose it'll fix packagers issue. I hope they use the required
libraries when they build their packages.

Really curious to see your patch. I've never had to change the configure
stuff. Yet another thing to learn :)

Thanks, Dave.

--
Guillaume