Re: FW: UI Addition Request. View Data > View BOTTOM 100 Rows

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Matt Janssen <matt(at)luggagepros(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, steffen_kuhn(at)web(dot)de
Subject: Re: FW: UI Addition Request. View Data > View BOTTOM 100 Rows
Date: 2010-08-17 20:38:24
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 13/08/2010 02:07, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Matt Janssen <matt(at)luggagepros(dot)com> wrote:
>>> "Top" just means the first 100 returned by an unordered select query.
>>> They're actually in a completely arbitrary order, as that's how
>>> Postgres stores them, so "bottom" doesn't really make any sense. We
>>> don't make any attempt to order, as we have no idea what makes sense
>>> for any particular table - you can specify your own ordering in the
>>> filter/sort dialog of course.
>>
>> Not to argue since I'm pretty novice with pgAdmin, but every time I open a
>> table with "View Top 100 Rows" the filter/sort options are already set to
>> PRIMARY KEY Ascending. Can we offer the reverse behavior?
>
> Hmm, that must have been snuck in when I wasn't looking :-p
>
> I guess we could offer that in reverse.

Steffen Kuhn worked on a patch for this request. I commited it tonight.
See
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commit;h=527e2972bfff8cb8f16db6155980760c6810496b
for the actual patch. It adds a "View Last X lines" menu item everywhere
there is a "View Top X lines".

Thanks for the request, Matt. And thanks for the patch, Steffen.

--
Guillaume
http://www.postgresql.fr