Re: Win Server 2003: postgres can't logon

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Mabry Tyson <Tyson(at)AI(dot)SRI(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win Server 2003: postgres can't logon
Date: 2010-08-10 02:41:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/08/10 08:23, Mabry Tyson wrote:

> The PostgreSQL 8.3.1 Service is set to be started by logon as "postgres"
> (as configured by the MS installer). The postgres does have the "Can
> login as a service" privilege. The error we get is Event 553: Reason:
> User not allowed to logon at this computer
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&ProdVer=5.2&EvtID=533&EvtSrc=Security&LCID=1033
>
> with the indication that the attempted login was as a service. The
> authentication is listed as "Negotiate".

That sounds like Group Policy restrictions. You're going to have to get
your IT staff to deal with it, because if the server is an AD domain
member you probably don't have access to the group policy settings, and
even if you do they're hellishly complicated.

If they only used local policy you might be able to fix it up. The tool
you want to edit local policy is "gpedit.msc" (execute via Run dialog).

For more detail on Group Policy editing, see:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc736591%28WS.10%29.aspx

--
Craig Ringer