Re: PostGIS vs. PGXS in 9.0beta3

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostGIS vs. PGXS in 9.0beta3
Date: 2010-07-28 11:10:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> The real problem has nothing to do with any of the analysis, as you
>> say. It is this: they have an override file for PGXS and it uses
>> $(mkinstalldirs) which we got rid of about a year ago. So apparently
>> they haven't been testing much against any of our alphas or betas or
>> they would have seen this long ago. The correct fix is to do the
>> following in the PostGIS source root:
>>
>> sed -i -e 's/mkinstalldirs/MKDIR_P/' postgis/Makefile.pgxs
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> andrew
>
> Hmmm that's totally wrong - the override in Makefile.pgxs should only
> ever be loaded for PostgreSQL 8.3 and 8.4, and not PostgreSQL 9.0
> since it already has the correct installation paths.
>
> What I suspect is that you're actually getting bitten by this:
>
> http://markmail.org/message/k7iolbazhrqhijfk#query:pg_config%20jun%202007+page:1+mid:rqk6ux2e7npqbrzf+state:results
>

> Or, in other words, configure is picking up the wrong pg_config. Since
> the path fix in the thread was not backported to < 8.3, then the
> presence of an another pg_config for PostgreSQL < 8.3 in PATH will
> break things :(

No, the configure test is wrong. Here's what's in configure.ac:

dnl Temporary hack until minimum PostgreSQL version is 8.5:
dnl If PostgreSQL < 8.5 is detected, trigger the inclusion of the
new versioned PGXS targets
PGXSOVERRIDE=0
if test ! "$PGSQL_MINOR_VERSION" -ge 5; then
PGXSOVERRIDE=1
fi

Of course, we don't have any such thing as 8.5.

cheers

andrew