Re: PostGIS vs. PGXS in 9.0beta3

From: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostGIS vs. PGXS in 9.0beta3
Date: 2010-07-28 10:29:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> The real problem has nothing to do with any of the analysis, as you say.
> It is this: they have an override file for PGXS and it uses
> $(mkinstalldirs) which we got rid of about a year ago. So apparently
> they haven't been testing much against any of our alphas or betas or
> they would have seen this long ago. The correct fix is to do the
> following in the PostGIS source root:
>
>    sed -i -e 's/mkinstalldirs/MKDIR_P/' postgis/Makefile.pgxs
>
> cheers
>
> andrew

Hmmm that's totally wrong - the override in Makefile.pgxs should only
ever be loaded for PostgreSQL 8.3 and 8.4, and not PostgreSQL 9.0 since
it already has the correct installation paths.

What I suspect is that you're actually getting bitten by this:

http://markmail.org/message/k7iolbazhrqhijfk#query:pg_config%20jun%202007+page:1+mid:rqk6ux2e7npqbrzf+state:results

Or, in other words, configure is picking up the wrong pg_config. Since
the path fix in the thread was not backported to < 8.3, then the
presence of an another pg_config for PostgreSQL < 8.3 in PATH will break
things :(

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS