Re: Wrong SqlType for boolean columns

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: fortunasliebling(at)gmx(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wrong SqlType for boolean columns
Date: 2010-07-28 08:59:47
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

fortunasliebling(at)gmx(dot)de wrote:

> i found out that my postgres driver maps a boolean column to the sqlType -7, wich is java.sql.Types.BIT and not java.sql.Types.Boolean (Boolean is 16). This is a very strange behavior.
>
> I think this is a bug within the jdbc-driver.

It is not a bug. BOOLEAN does not exist in earlier JDBC versions, and
drivers can map boolean types to either BIT or BOOLEAN. We pick BIT so
we can build drivers for earlier JDBC versions. (BIT is something of a
confusing type, as the mappings defined by JDBC for the JDBC BIT type
only really make sense for a single boolean value, not a SQL BIT(n) type)

See the datatype mapping tables in Appendix B of the JDBC spec.

I agree that it is confusing, but that is just a reflection of the JDBC
spec being confusing..

-O