Re: JPA and desktop apps

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: JPA and desktop apps
Date: 2010-07-27 20:57:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 7/27/2010 8:03 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Out of interest, why not JSF2?
> Anyway, GWT and Wicket are two on my short list.

You seem to be traveling down the same road we did several months ago.
We are a Java shop, so that option is predetermined. We used GWT to
implement the front end for the same app we used JPA for (replied in a
different email.)

After dealing with the many issues with GWT (and to be fair, the same
issues probably apply to any solution heavily slanted to the
client-side), we elected to try JSF for our customer portal. That
turned out to be an excellent choice. JSF (specifically facelets, which
I'd highly recommend; for JSF2, facelets is the default implementation)
provides a much more responsive environment (from the user's
perspective) that earlier JSP. Using a server-side solution is *much*
easier to work with, as you are not having to constantly shuffle data
back and forth to the client.

So, unless you have very compelling requirements that require
significant client interaction without returning to the server, I'd
highly recommend JSF/facelets. Obviously, if you are not committed to
Java, then perhaps other options are more appropriate to you environment
and/or skill set.

--
Guy Rouillier