Re: Bug with exceptionally long values.

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Jeff Adams <jadams(at)azavea(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <peter(dot)geoghegan86(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug with exceptionally long values.
Date: 2010-07-27 20:39:27
Lists: pgadmin-support
Le 27/07/2010 22:26, Jeff Adams a écrit :
> The bug is definitely a wxWidgets bug, and exists both in 2.8.11 and 2.9.1.
> I was able to reproduce it in their "grid" sample.
>
> I submitted a bug to the wxWidgets project:
>
> http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/12276
>
> Do you think pgAdmin should implement some sort of temporary fix in the
> meanwhile?

It would be best to have a (even temporary) fix. I'm not sure how we can
do that. Having a special background colour could do that. But that
means we need to check the length of every cells. I suppose that, if you
have cells with more than 50k characters, you'll also have big tables.
It sure will take a lot of time to check that. And what should we do if
we find cells with more than X thousand characters? Highlight them? Draw
something? I don't know. All I can say is that it won't be cheap
(performance-wise).

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr