Re: postgresql basic info

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <Toni(dot)Lazarin(at)kapsch(dot)net>,<pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql basic info
Date: 2010-07-27 20:49:54
Lists: pgsql-admin
Lazarin Toni <Toni(dot)Lazarin(at)kapsch(dot)net> wrote:

> * Estimated time for postgresql latest RDBMS software instalation
>   and configuration (does it takes longer on windows or on linux)

That depends.  On a kubuntu system which didn't have PostgreSQL
installed, I typed:

sudo apt-get install postgresql

I had a running cluster in about 50 seconds.  On the other hand,
when I'm going to install a new major release for our production
system, I read up on it, download source, build the core product and
our home-grown extensions, and test that everything seems to be
working OK.  Just the builds and basic tests can take an hour.  At
least half that is because of our home-grown extensions, though.
The study and the tests of our applications is very dependent on the
specific changes in the new release.

> * Are there any prefered OS, like windows or linux etc ... ?

I think the best benchmarks I've seen have been on FreeBSD, although
I think Linux is more popular.  I would stay away from Windows.  It
seems as though AIX and Solaris tend to have more build issues with
special packages than some.

> * Estimated time for import of 50gb of data from older postgres
>   to the newly instaled postgres?

That's going to depend on the hardware, line speed (if across the
wire), OS, configuration, etc.  Ballpark, for our databases and
hardware a 50GB pg_dump | psql load (the normal route for major
version upgrade) would take 30 to 40 minutes.  We use a different
configuration for such a conversion or bulk load, and then
reconfigure for production; this allows us to turn off fsync and
full page writes for the load, which would not be safe for normal
use.

-Kevin

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Walter WillmertingerDate: 2010-07-27 21:56:22