Linux Filesystems again - Ubuntu this time

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Linux Filesystems again - Ubuntu this time
Date: 2010-07-27 05:04:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

I'm involved with the setup of replacement hardware for one of our
systems. It is going to be using Ubuntu Lucid Server (kernel 2.6.32 I
believe). The issue of filesystems has raised its head again.

I note that ext4 is now the default for Lucid, what do folks think about
using it: stable enough now? Also xfs has seen quite a bit of
development in these later kernels, any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Mark

P.s: We are quite keen to move away from ext3, as we have encountered
its tendency to hit a wall under heavy load and leave us waiting for
kjournald and pdflush to catch up....