Re: Testing Sandforce SSD

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Greg Spiegelberg <gspiegelberg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing Sandforce SSD
Date: 2010-07-26 18:40:43
Lists: pgsql-performance
Greg Spiegelberg wrote:
> Speaking of the layers in-between, has this test been done with the
> ext3 journal on a different device?  Maybe the purpose is wrong for
> the SSD.  Use the SSD for the ext3 journal and the spindled drives for
> filesystem?

The main disk bottleneck on PostgreSQL databases are the random seeks
for reading and writing to the main data blocks.  The journal
information is practically noise in comparison--it barely matters
because it's so much less difficult to keep up with.  This is why I
don't really find ext2 interesting either.