Re: Testing Sandforce SSD

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing Sandforce SSD
Date: 2010-07-26 15:34:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
Yeb Havinga wrote:
> Please remember that particular graphs are from a read/write pgbench
> run on a bigger than RAM database that ran for some time (so with
> checkpoints), on a *single* $435 50GB drive without BBU raid controller.

To get similar *average* performance results you'd need to put about 4
drives and a BBU into a server.  The worst-case latency on that solution
is pretty bad though, when a lot of random writes are queued up; I
suspect that's where the SSD will look much better.

By the way:  if you want to run a lot more tests in an organized
fashion, that's what http://github.com/gregs1104/pgbench-tools was
written to do.  That will spit out graphs by client and by scale showing
how sensitive the test results are to each.