Re: Testing Sandforce SSD

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing Sandforce SSD
Date: 2010-07-26 15:34:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
Yeb Havinga wrote:
> Please remember that particular graphs are from a read/write pgbench
> run on a bigger than RAM database that ran for some time (so with
> checkpoints), on a *single* $435 50GB drive without BBU raid controller.

To get similar *average* performance results you'd need to put about 4
drives and a BBU into a server.  The worst-case latency on that solution
is pretty bad though, when a lot of random writes are queued up; I
suspect that's where the SSD will look much better.

By the way:  if you want to run a lot more tests in an organized
fashion, that's what was
written to do.  That will spit out graphs by client and by scale showing
how sensitive the test results are to each.