Re: Testing Sandforce SSD

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing Sandforce SSD
Date: 2010-07-24 22:01:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
Yeb Havinga wrote:
> Writes/s start low but quickly converge to a number in the range of
> 1200 to 1800. The writes diskchecker does are 16kB writes. Making this
> 4kB writes does not increase writes/s. 32kB seems a little less, 64kB
> is about two third of initial writes/s and 128kB is half.

Let's turn that into MB/s numbers:

4k * 1200 = 4.7 MB/s
8k * 1200 = 9.4 MB/s
16k * 1200 = 18.75 MB/s
64kb * 1200 * 2/3 [800] = 37.5 MB/s
128kb * 1200 / 2 [600] = 75 MB/s

For comparison sake, a 7200 RPM drive running PostgreSQL will do <120
commits/second without a BBWC, so at an 8K block size that's <1 MB/s.
If you put a cache in the middle, I'm used to seeing about 5000 8K
commits/second, which is around 40 MB/s.  So this is sitting right in
the middle of those two.  Sequential writes with a commit after each one
like this are basically the worst case for the SSD, so if it can provide
reasonable performance on that I'd be happy.