Re: Testing Sandforce SSD

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Testing Sandforce SSD
Date: 2010-07-24 20:21:21
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> Note that not all of the Sandforce drives include a capacitor; I hope
> you got one that does! I wasn't aware any of the SF drives with a
> capacitor on them were even shipping yet, all of the ones I'd seen
> were the chipset that doesn't include one still. Haven't checked in a
> few weeks though.

Answer my own question here: the drive Yeb got was the brand spanking
new OCZ Vertex 2 Pro, selling for $649 at Newegg for example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227535 and with
the supercacitor listed right in the main production specifications
there. This is officially the first inexpensive (relatively) SSD with a
battery-backed write cache built into it. If Yeb's test results prove
it works as it's supposed to under PostgreSQL, I'll be happy to finally
have a moderately priced SSD I can recommend to people for database
use. And I fear I'll be out of excuses to avoid buying one as a toy for
my home system.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us