Re: ECPG Documentation Improvement

From: Satoshi Nagayasu <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ECPG Documentation Improvement
Date: 2010-07-22 06:35:43
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-interfaces
Hi all,

In past two months, I was working to improve the ecpg manual,
and work for a draft of the new manual is now 90% finished.
This document is getting very similar to the final edition,
so I hope to introduce to you.

In this version, following chapters has been changed.

- The Concept
- Managing the Database Connections
- Running SQL Commands
- Dynamic SQL
- Error Handling

Some are reorganized, some are rewritten and many things are
newly added.

So please check the new one, and hope to get some feedbacks
from pg guys.

- Browsable manual

- Archived manual in ZIP file

Any feedback and comments would be appreciated.

On 2010/07/08 18:50, Satoshi Nagayasu wrote:
> Hi all,
> As I mentioned, I have been working to improve the ECPG official manual,
> trying to understand details, and adding more descriptions and examples
> in a past few weeks.
> I think now is the time to introduce this work again, and hope some of
> you to look inside the new documents. And also I want to discuss how
> to contribute to the official manual.
> New ECPG manual (Zip file)
> Current ECPG manual
> I have refined and reorganized the ECPG manual from the viewpoint of
> application developers who don't have deep knowledge about PostgreSQL
> and its internals.
> The work is still in progress, but the whole structure and the core
> chapters have almost been fixed.
> So, I want someone who is interested in the ECPG and/or documentation
> to look inside the documents.
> Any feedback and comments would be appreciated.
> Regards,
> On 2010/06/17 18:07, Satoshi Nagayasu wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm trying to improve the ECPG documents for the ECPG application
>> developrs, because some of my clients want more detailed information
>> when they develop (or migrate) an embeded SQL applications.
>> Of course, I want to contribute this work to the official manual.
>> So I have one thing to introduce to you, and thing to ask you.
>> At first, I've done writing ECPG directives.
>> I think it could be useful for the ECPG application developers,
>> similar to the SQL reference section in the official manual.
>> ecpgdocs @ GoogleCode (I'm working here.)
>> ecpgdocs downloads (You can find the current document.)
>> However, I'm not familiar with ECPG details or internals,
>> so here is one asking, I hope someone to review my documents
>> and give some feedback to me.
>> Feedbacks which I'm expecting are:
>> - Is this document useful?
>> - Missing directives.
>> - Missing or wrong synopsis.
>> - More appropriate descriptions on parameters or examples.
>> - How to contribute this to the official manual.
>> - Correcting English. (sorry for my poor English.)
>> - etc...
>> Honestly, I'm not familiar with the documentation acceptance/review process,
>> so any advice and/or comments are welcome.
>> Regards,

NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi(dot)nagayasu(at)gmail(dot)com>