Re: Using more tha one index per table

From: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using more tha one index per table
Date: 2010-07-22 01:03:17
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-performance
On 7/21/10 5:47 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 21/07/10 22:59, Greg Smith wrote:
>
>>   A useful trick to know is that if you replace the version number
>> with "current", you'll get to the latest version most of the time
>> (sometimes the name of the page is changed between versions, too, but
>> this isn't that frequent).
>
> The docs pages could perhaps benefit from an auto-generated note saying:
>
> "The current version of Pg is 8.4. This documentation is for version
> 8.2. Click [here] for documentation on the current version."
>
> ... or something to that effect. It'd be a nice (and more user-friendly)
> alternative to url twiddling when searches reveal docs for an old
> version, and might help push the /current/ pages up in search rank too.

In addition, why not use symlinks so that the current version is simply called "current", as in

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-insert.html

If you google for "postgres insert", you get this:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-insert.html

The problem is that Google ranks pages based on inbound links, so older versions of Postgres *always* come up before the latest version in page ranking.  By using "current" and encouraging people to link to that, we could quickly change the Google pagerank so that a search for Postgres would turn up the most-recent version of documentation.

Craig