Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

From: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
To: Hervé Piedvache <herve(at)elma(dot)fr>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Date: 2005-01-20 14:48:07
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Jan 20, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Hervé Piedvache wrote:

> Sorry but I don't agree with this ... Slony is a replication solution
> ... I
> don't need replication ... what will I do when my database will grow
> up to 50
> Gb ... I'll need more than 50 Gb of RAM on each server ???

Slony doesn't use much ram. The mysql clustering product, ndb I believe
it is called, requires all data fit in RAM. (At least, it used to).
What you'll need is disk space.

As for a cluster I think you are thinking of multi-master replication.

You should look into what others have said about trying to partiition
data among several boxes and then join the results together.

Or you could fork over hundreds of thousands of dollars for Oracle's
RAC.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/